My name is Rachel King and I created Toll Genealogy to provide information about genetic genealogy for those just starting out on the journey, and to offer my genetic genealogy services
When I was trying to solve my own genetic genealogy mystery I was struck by how difficult it was to learn what I needed to do, and often the material I found online was just too complex for what I actually needed to know. Wading through tons of material to find what I needed was time-consuming and took away mental energy I needed to work on solving my mystery.
As time went on I developed my own methods for doing research, drawing on my skills gained from my education and work experience, and I of course learned what not to do as well. Since becoming interested in genetic genealogy I’ve helped people find answers to their own mysteries, but wanted to empower people to do it for themselves, so Toll Genealogy was born.
Toll Genealogy is named for my great-grandfather, John Thomas Toll, identified using genetic genealogy in January 2018, after a lifetime’s search (but just over a year since my first DNA test).
I undertake a limited amount of consulting work, for full details, please see my Consulting page, particularly if you are looking for a genetic genealogist or forensic genealogist to help you answer a mystery! I also undertake ‘traditional’ genealogy work
Genetic Genealogy/Forensic Consultancy specialisms
- Unknown parentage/Adoption/Foundling/John and Jane Does
- Historic misattributed parentage (grandparent to 2x grandparent level)
- DNA match analysis and genetic networks identifying (ie. ‘real human’ Leeds method/clustering)
- Forward tracing of descendants of a particular ancestor (whether in conjunction with DNA analysis or as part of a heir-tracing exercise or similar).
- Strategic advice on target testing and/or knocking down brick walls with genetic genealogy
- Particular specialisms: England and Wales but also able to research Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Ireland.
- Entirely proficient with US genealogical research; some experience also with Canadian and South African records.
- I can also provide ‘boots on the ground’ research lookup service for businesses, private individuals or other genealogists for any (accessible) archives in the greater London area, please contact me with brief details for availability and pricing.
Professional Bio information
- 2008: 2.1 LLB (Hons) Law with American Law from the University of Nottingham
- 2017: First successful adoptee case success – both parents identified in a closed adoption case
- 2018-2022: volunteer forensic genealogist with the DNA Doe Project; Involved with several ‘solved’ cases, including:
- Anne Marie Lehman (“Annie Doe”), officially announced 12 March 2019
- “Pillar Point Doe” (name withheld by authorities), identified October 2019
- Tamara Lee Tigard (“Lime Lady Doe”), officially announced 6 August 2020
- “Harper Jane Doe 87” (name withheld by authorities), officially announced 25 November 2020
- Karen Kay Knippers (“Pulaski Co Jane Doe”), officially announced 25 May 2021
- Dawn Clare Plonsky Wilkerson (“Kentucky Jane Doe 2001”), officially announced 2021.
- Steven Edward Gooch (“Marion Flathead Co John Doe 2003”), officially announced February 2022
- other cases pending official announcement at this time.
- 2018: officially opened doors for genetic genealogy consulting
- 2019: Successful completion of the Certificate in Genealogical Research (Boston University)
- 2019-2021: Successful completion of the PgCert in Genealogical, Palaeographic & Heraldic Studies (University of Strathclyde)
- 2020-2022: Genetic and traditional genealogy consultant to Wall to Wall Media for ‘Who Do You Think You Are?‘ (UK)
- Series 18, Episode 1 – Josh Widdicombe (research into Josh’s maternal-side family tree)
- Series 18, Episode 3 – Alex Scott (genetic genealogy research)
- Series 18, Episode 6 – Joe Sugg (genealogy research – various)
- Series 18, Episode 7 – Ed Balls (genetic genealogy research)
- 2021-2022: pursuing PgDip/MA in Genealogical, Palaeographic & Heraldic Studies (University of Strathclyde)
- 2021- 2022: freelance genealogist/genetic genealogist for Ancestry ProGenealogists and Trace.