Toll Genealogy Consulting Services
Looking for professional genealogy help? You’ve come to the right place! Every month, I open my virtual doors to up to five clients, whether they need help with DNA and genetic genealogy, help getting started with building their family tree or help to try to find an answer to a specific question about their family history. I also do on the ground research in the London area for those unable to travel here themselves.
Here’s just some of the things that I do:
- Unknown parent, adoptee and foundling searches
- Deceased unknown persons (law enforcement, coroners and related agencies only)
- Analysis of your Ancestry / 23andMe / FamilyTreeDNA / My Heritage / Gedmatch DNA matches / identification of genetic networks
- Brick wall ancestor searches (aka unknown parent at grandparent – 2x great-grandparent level)
- Troubleshooting / Next steps advice for your specific DNA research questions
- initial family tree building (usually up to four generations)
- consulting / research for specific research questions (can be combined with genetic genealogy where relevant), or specific lines of your family tree
- on the ground research in London
Areas of interest/specialisms
- British (including English, Welsh and Scottish) and American genealogical research
- Autosomal DNA / Genetic Genealogy
- UK geographical areas: London / Suffolk / Norfolk / Cheshire / Liverpool
- Research services / look-ups: Greater London area including the National Archives at Kew
- House histories / place studies
How we work together
- I’ll start by sending you a simple questionnaire to fill out, which will cover basic things about the help you need from me.
- Once you’ve returned your questionnaire and given me access to your DNA results (if relevant), I will provide you with a tailored quotation for my services which will include suggested next steps and different pricing options if relevant. If you need help analysing your DNA results I will ask you to let me view your DNA results, and will work with you as to the best way to do this, depending on where you’ve tested. The quotation will outline exactly what is included and include expected timescales.
- All work done to provide you with a quotation is provided free of charge and enables me to provide you with the most accurate quotation and options. This is usually equal to about 30 minutes of my time.
- If you decide to go ahead, I’ll send you an invoice for the agreed amount, and will get started with research within one business day of receiving your payment!
How much does it cost?
Prices do vary according to exactly what you need, and how much research is required, but here’s an idea of my rates:
Genetic Genealogy bespoke consulting
My consulting services are right for those seeking to use genetic genealogy to identify unknown biological parents, or an unknown ancestor slightly further back – usually at grandparent or great-grandparent level. It can be used successfully for brick wall ancestors further back, but success will always depend on whether you have DNA matches that enable you to uncover the answers.
My genetic genealogy consulting services rate is currently £50 per hour, plus any disbursements such as travel costs where on the ground research is required, or the purchasing of vital records certificates that are needed to progress your search. No extra costs will be incurred without your prior agreement.
All consultancy services enquiries include up to 30 minutes of my time free of charge to enable me to provide you with a full quotation and suggested next steps; where possible I will offer you different pricing bands, depending on how much work may be needed.
As part of my consultancy service you’ll receive a full report of my research and findings and suggested next steps for future research if required.
Ready to get a no-obligation quotation? Simply click here to request a quotation and I’ll get back to you within one business day.
Traditional Genealogy Consulting
My traditional consulting services are right for those who need some help starting their family tree or help with answering or troubleshooting in relation to a specific research question. My specialism is British and American research.
My traditional genealogy consulting services rate is currently £45 per hour, plus any disbursements such as travel costs where on the ground research is required, or the purchasing of vital records certificates that are needed to progress your search. No extra costs will be incurred without your prior agreement.
All consultancy services enquiries include up to 30 minutes of my time free of charge to enable me to provide you with a full quotation and suggested next steps. Where possible I will offer you different pricing options depending on how much work may be needed.
As part of my consultancy service you’ll receive a full report of my research and findings and suggested next steps for future research if required. You’ll also know exactly how I’ve spent my time.
Ready to get a no-obligation quotation? Simply fill out this quick form and I’ll get back to you within one business day.
DNA Match Analysis
You might be wondering why I offer this as a service since there are companies that ‘auto-clustering’ for free or low cost. Simply put, I’ve found that, although these services are great, and can cut down on the work needed, the human touch is always useful, and can spot things that computers can’t. Computers can’t cross reference different companies, they can’t analyse information not linked to a DNA matches results, and they can’t spot mis-spellings in names. I recommend human match analysis for those who have just got their DNA results and are feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to start, or for those looking for an unknown parent or ancestor who would appreciate a leg up at the start of their search. If you’ve already played with sorting your matches, but are still struggling, then my bespoke consulting/troubleshooting services outlined above might be better for you.
Basic package – Grouping of your Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA, My Heritage, 23andMe and/or Gedmatch matches into groups:
Ancestry only: £50
Ancestry + one other: £70
Ancestry + two other: £85
Ancestry + three other: £95
Ancestry + four other: £100
Gold package – As above, but with identification of potential common ancestors where possible:
Ancestry only: £75
Ancestry + one other: £95
Ancestry + two other: £110
Ancestry + three other: £115
Ancestry + four other: £125
The above prices are representative only, but represent the most you can expect to pay for analysis. Your quotation will depend on how many, and the closeness of matches you have at each company, together with factors such as possible endogamy complicating the ability to identify match groups.
For both packages you will receive a pdf report together with a spreadsheet of your matches in either Excel or Google sheet format, according to your preference, that you can use for your DNA research going forward.
At this time I do not offer analysis of LivingDNA matches for the simple reason that most people do not have very many LivingDNA matches to work with. I also do not offer analysis of ethnicity results.
Ready to get started? Request your no-obligation quotation by clicking here!
One off troubleshooting / short consultancy advice
If you don’t need a full consultancy service, I also offer short one-off consultancy slots. These are charged either by the full hour (£50) or half an hour (£27.50), depending on your needs. These are more suitable for people who want help with the best next steps for specific research or DNA questions.
Enquire about one-off slots here.
Just looking for someone to do some on the ground research for you? I am based in London and am ideally placed to visit archives, libraries and other repositories within the greater London area, including the National Archives, Kew. Travel within London zones 1 and 2 (that includes all of central London) is not charged, and for locations outside of Zones 1 and 2, I combine research trips to minimise travel costs wherever possible, and only charge actual/research time as needed. For all enquiries of this nature, just click here to contact me, and let me know what it is you need, and when you need it by. I’ll get back to you within one business day with my availability and estimated cost (which will be a pro-rata amount of my standard hourly rate of £45 an hour).
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you only take UK clients?
No, I take on clients from anywhere in the world, provided that they need research assistance with British or American genealogy. My pricing is in UK £ Sterling, but I can invoice customers in UK £ or US $. I will add other currencies as needed. Pricing in other currencies will always be based on the exchange rate between UK £ and your currency, as at the time of providing you with a quotation.
How can I pay?
I accept payment by all major credit and debit cards. All payments are handled by Stripe.
Why do you only take on five clients a month?
By only taking on a limited number of clients each month I am able to provide the best possible service to my clients. This is a win-win for you; you know you will get the best attention I can provide, and my time isn’t stretched with too many commitments.
What if I’m not sure what kind of help I need?
No problem! Just let me know what you’re struggling with by filling out my consultancy enquiry form, and I’ll suggest some options, no obligation to you to proceed.
Your doors are closed. Do you operate a waitlist?
Yes! I run a waitlist up to three months ahead. You can join the waitlist here.
Can I see your terms ahead of purchasing?
Of course! Just click here: Terms & Conditions of Purchase/Supply